Saturday, October 6, 2007

Biodiversity

When Pessimism Sets In. I read the press release in my Inbox. It said,

Press Conference on Anguilla’s Biodiversity Strategy & Action Plan:

The Government of Anguilla as part of its renewed commitment to sustainable management of the country’s limited natural resources has initiated the preparation of Anguilla’s Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (ABSAP).

At this critical juncture of this initiative, the Department of Environment extends invitations to all Media Houses, Heads of Departments with responsibility for Natural Resource Management to a Press Conference outlining the details of the ABSAP.

Please join us Monday - October 8, 2007, at the Anguilla Tourist Board Conference Centre at 2pm.

The Department of Environment through the Ministry of Environment will be detailing the concept, focus and benefits of the ABSAP to Anguilla’s current development landscape. The team of regional and international consultants facilitating the consultation as part of the development of the ABSAP will be available to answer questions.

In my innocence, I thought it sounded like a good idea to attend. I contacted some of my environmentally concerned friends. I asked whether they would like to be there with me. The responses were discouraging, to say the least. One wrote back in reply:

I listened with belief and encouragement when they signed the Environmental Charter.
I listened again when I read the United Front Manifesto. I was encouraged. I voted for them.

I don't go to ceremonies.

I am no longer interested in listening to promises about what is to be done about Anguilla's environment. I have been to what used to be a landfill at Corito. I have been to what used to be Windward Point Beach. I have been to what used to be Sile Bay Beach. I have seen the pilings dumped on the beach at Mariners. And I have seen the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.

I was there when Olasee Davis said, "Because we don't think about the future they will never forget us."

It is truly saddening to know so much about our island.

I have learned that it's possible to know too much.

It completely put me off. I don’t want to go to the Press Conference any more. Is this too pessimistic? Do you, by contrast, have the courage to hope for improvements in the future? If so, it probably means that you are younger than I am!


No comments:

Post a Comment