Saturday, April 18, 2009

New Constitution



Chief Minister announces he is to meet with the British to discuss new Constitution. I was not paying much attention this morning to what I was hearing on the news. Renford Kelsick was reading the news on Radio Anguilla in his own idiosyncratic way. That is why I cannot be sure that I heard right. I believe I heard him say that the Chief Minister was going to London to hold discussions with the "British constitutional committee".



They will hold discussions about what, I asked myself?



Is “discussions” not just another word for “negotiations”?



Has Lolita Richardson’s new draft constitution been published to the Anguillian public?



Has anyone in Anguilla seen a copy of this alleged new Constitution?



Are its provisions in line with the 2006 Report of the Constitutional and Electoral Reform Commission?



Have the Members of the House of Assembly debated the draft before the Chief Minister commences negotiations?



I went to the government website to look. I searched the home page for a link or reference, but there was none. I searched Press Releases to see if there was anything there. As of 5:00 pm but there was nothing on the government website about the new draft Constitution.



How could the Chief Minister be going to London to discuss our new Constitution when none of us has seen what is being proposed?



Will the British permit him to discuss with them any constitutional proposals which have not yet seen the light of day in Anguilla?



Have we not been through this issue over and over before?



Please tell me I imagined it all.

Related Links:

Police Reform





No comments:

Post a Comment