Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sued



It cost me a lot of money. The first thing I teach my pupils when we are studying the tort of defamation is, “Don’t repeat gossip that a person is suspected of being corrupt unless you have the evidence”. The way the law is written at present, it does not matter how many people suspect that the gossip you repeated is true. It does not matter what Percy is saying, or what the calypsonians are singing. If you are sued, and if you do not have credible and convincing and admissible evidence, you will lose. That is what happened to me.



A few days ago, I was informed that the matter brought against me by the four ministers for the item I published on 4 July 2007 has been settled.



A pity I did not first read my own lecture notes before I pressed the “send” button.





No comments:

Post a Comment