Thursday, September 20, 2007

Independence!

Interruptions. Today I am off to Grenada for a couple of days. It will be in many ways a sad trip. This is one of the most corrupt of our several failed Commonwealth Caribbean States. The public ethics situation there is even worse than in St Vincent or Dominica. And, those two are sorry States. Those are places you come from. No one in their right mind goes there. My heart always sinks as my 'plane lands at Point Salines Airport.

Anyone who wants to see what happens to a people, who are tricked into going for independence without having visionaries at the helm to ensure that the necessary protections and checks and balances are in place, should study Grenada. Start by reading any of the articles in the most recent edition of the Internet newspaper Grenada Today. Perhaps, you would like to read about the Prime Minister’s arrangements with his tame Registrar of Offshore Financial Services to collect “election contributions” from crooked offshore bankers? Or, perhaps you would like to learn about the government’s conniving in facilitating the most recent bank fraud? Every time I hear the name Grenada, my heart goes out to my poor, miserable, exploited cousins.

If I learn anything of interest to Anguilla, I’ll let you know first thing when I get back.


No comments:

Post a Comment