Thursday, August 25, 2011

THE 4TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE SPLENDOR OF THE CHURCH BLOG!




The All-Powerful Lord


 


Today, we give praise to the Lord for the 4th Anniversary of THE SPLENDOR OF THE CHURCH Blog. We give praise to the Lord because this Blog has become God's instrument in defending the Catholic Church and in explaining the Catholic Faith to so many people. 





From its simple and humble beginning this Blog has grown so much like a Mustard Seed that fell on good ground and became a home for many birds. It became a parola for those who were seeking the truth or were doubting the faith and a source of inspiration for the Catholic Faithful to defend the faith on their own also in various fora. Our visitors mark is reaching half a million in few days and record shows that more than a thousand visitors read the Blog on a daily basis from all over the world. Our followers is nearly 400 people and more are coming.





We have successfully collaborated with the best of the best Catholic Apologists in the Philippines with the likes of Bro. Soc Fernandez of the Catholic Faith Defenders [CFD] and its national president Engr./Prof. Ramon Gitamondoc of San Carlos University in Cebu as well as the CFD Davao led by president Bro. John Diona through its energetic and very bright young leader Bro. Ryan Mejilano. These collaborations paved the way for my appointment as CFD National Spiritual Director last year. Then, our apologetics ministry with the Defensores Fidei Foundation then under chairman Henry Siy through which I get to know these great Apologists ATTY. MARWIL LLASOS, CARLOS ANTONIO PALAD and BRO. CENON BIBE who have all become brothers to me and close friends as well as collaborators. Some of their articles are posted here as well and on several occasions they even joined in the exchanges here. 





Most of all this ministry has been blessed so much that out of this Blog many young people have full-pledged Catholic Apologists as well. Foremost of them is Franz Luigi Lugena who became my assistant in the Splendor of the Church program here in Sorsogon and second owner of this Blog. Bro. Franz, gifted with youthful energy, vigor and sharp mathematical mind have successfully defended and argued for the faith on issues concerning Sola Scriptura, Justification, Predestination, on the Virgin Mary, Rizal and the Catholic Church, Masonry, Philippine History and the Friars and Atheism. Many of his exchanges are archived inhere and therefore recorded for posterity's sake. Also, this blog has contributed so much from the works of Bro. Jubernson Alabastro of CFD Davao, a very bright young man who is an Accountancy graduate and a student of law. Bro. Jubernson is a well of information on Apologetics, Church History and various documents so valuable for research. He is also a very sharp thinker that made him an effective apologist on his own right. Knowing the brilliance of his intellect and the virtue of his heart I gave him the honor to be the second co-moderator of this Blog together with Bro. Franz so that the two of them can post materials here on their own even without my prior approval. My trust, however, are put on good hands because the two never posted things contrary to our goals.








Besides Bro. Franz, other young readers of this Blog have become active in Facebook Fora or Groups arguing for the Faith such as Adrian Tams, Peter Pelayo Cosenillo, Ednard Kim La Rosa and recently Sev Maraño. Some of the inspiring and shall I say 'touching' messages from our readers have been posted here already. And now for this anniversary let me share the latest I have received the other day only. The guy is a Blogger also with the link provided below as well:














  • Dear Father Abe,

    I thank God for your website. You have been instrumental to my conversion to the Catholic Church. It's a good thing that my parents, before they converted to Born Again, were able to baptize me in Barasoain Church. And this weekend I'll go there to get my baptismal certificate and get ready to come again in the Church.

    I am so excited to be with the Church. Again, I'm very thankful to your apologetics ministry. Through it, I was able to see the light and see the errors and flaws of the churches I've been to.

    God bless you and your ministry Father Abe, I hope you can add me to your list of friends. Consider me as one of your avid readers/fans.

    Sincerely,
    Sev.









    P.S. 








    i have posts po when i was still protestant.. pero not so much entries. hehe














Home At Last!








Five Years in the Wilderness




It started all in 2006, when I took a weeklong vacation leave from work.
It has been my tradition to visit my alma mater, De La Salle
University, go to the library and spend time reading the whole day. I
was in the mood for reading some religious books. I remembered my
atheist professor in Philosophy when she said in her article “if your
faith is true, you won’t mind putting it to the test.” So I browsed
through the religion section of the library, very confident of what my
beliefs are.



The early church fathers were alien to me that time. In that section, I
saw various church fathers writings. St. Iranaeus, St. Athanasius, and I
tell to myself “who are these guys??” The only familiar church father I
know of that time was St. Augustine, due to my Calvinist background.
Together with those books are some Marian writings. I thought “bring it
on!” These books won’t bother me. So I read them the whole day.



The day ended with me shaken to my very core. I left the library with
the same faith I had, but felt a bit less sure than when I entered the
place that morning.



It was only after five years will I ever set my feet on solid ground again.



Background



I was raised in a family steep in Protestantism. I grew up in Sunday
School of a moderate evangelical church and I studied in a very
conservative Baptist-oriented school in my elementary and high school
days.



Our church, where I grew up, is composed of families that started out as
a small bible study group and eventually grew and became an evangelical
church. This is where the love of the Bible in me started. At a very
young age, we were memorizing Bible verses, we were taught the stories
of Jesus in the Gospels, stories of Protestant missionary stories, etc. .
During our early teens, I was active in youth groups, together with my
siblings. It was home to me. I will always be indebted to this church
where I grew up.



Meanwhile, during my elementary and high school years (1993-1999), in my
Baptist-oriented school, we were taught of so many anti-Catholic things
- the usual Whore of Babylon-Pope-Anti Christ-Mass sorcery-traditions
evil, crucifix of the devil, and what have you. Subliminally, we were
taught to hate and fear everything related to Catholic.



For the first seventeen years of my life, I was not exposed to anything
related to Catholicism (or so I thought), until I reached college.



I would consider my college years (1999-2004) as the most eventful years
of my spiritual life. Eventful, because I was exposed to Catholics,
started to be curious in a lot of things, trying out new things, living
out new philosophies and ideas.



Early on in my college life, one of the most traumatic and significant
thing happened. We experienced a church split where I grew up. My
parents had to change churches, and that included us in the change.



We were suddenly in a much bigger church, good teaching nevertheless,
but it didn’t feel like home to me. The pastors don’t know me
personally, and I don’t know them in the same way either. I haven’t
felt the huge impact immediately on this event since I was having the
time of my life in college. This is where I started to disengage from
church life. I became just a regular attender, not wanting to be
involved in anything, lest I wanted to feel the pain of a church split
again and again. It never dawned on me that deep inside I was really
hurt with the split we experienced.

During my sophomore years, I became an agnostic, courtesy of my atheist
professor. I continued in that fashion until 2006, the year my father
died.



Going Back But Not the Same as Before



In 2006, I felt like coming back to the way it was before. So I joined
my mother, who is now worshipping in a famous Pentecostal megachurch in
Manila, and tried to regain my lost spirituality there. I rededicated
my life back to the Lord and started to be a bit more serious in
spirituality.



The church is unlike any other churches I have attended before. They
are very strong on the Holy Spirit gifts like speaking in tongues,
baptism of fire, prosperity gospel, etc. I was a bit shocked with the
environment.



My initial problem was how to convert my current girlfriend (who's now my wife) that time from Catholicism to our faith.

Incidentally, this was also the time my faith was shaken during my vacation leave from work.

After that long vacation, I started searching the internet for some good
materials. I wanted to defend my faith, which I thought was the right
one that time.



So I read debates between Catholic and Protestants. I have read
writings of the famous Catholic apologists such as Tim Staples, Patrick
Madrid, Robert Sungenis, etc. After all this, I know I was treading on
thin ice already.



In short, I wasn’t able to convert my girlfriend for so many reasons -
the weirdness of the things they do in church services, the prosperity
gospel that they are espousing, the ridiculousness of the things I see
on TV (televangelists). In fact, I was ashamed of them. I started to
see the church I was in from outside looking in. How do people of other
faith think of us as a church?



There was even a time when there were Sundays when there was no service
at all. Instead of a service, there was a children’s musical in place
with themes of prosperity gospel in it – that was the last straw that
broke the camel’s back. I realized that this is not the place I would
like my children to grow up.



My search intensified when I came across a blogger named Michael
Spencer, or the famous InternetMonk (Lord have mercy on his soul). Like
him, I was in the evangelical wilderness. His writings question the
basic practices of Protestants like altar calls, Biblicism, praise and
worship and the likes. Although he was a Protestant, many people who
visit his site, through his writings, either settled in Anglicanism,
Orthodoxy or Catholicism. His death in early 2009 gave me the courage
to not give up hope in finding Christ’s true bride.



Early in 2010, I was churchless again, this time, I’m all alone to
search for a new church. I longed for something established, more
ancient, a place where my spirit can be at rest from the noisy, ever-
changing Pentecostal landscape.



In June 2010, I was able to find a church that fitted my needs that
time. It was an Anglican Church. The bishop, who is the current rector
there is very warm, welcoming, and loving. He is a New Testament
scholar. I could not ask for more ideal spiritual father.



But this did not stop me from searching. In October 2010, I started
searching again. This is where I encountered Father Abe’s “The Splendor
of the Church” blog. I was amazed with how he defends the beliefs of
the Catholics against the misconceptions of non-Catholics. This was
where I learned a lot about the Catholic faith.
His blog was pointing
me to different directions – search, research, compare. This also led
me to gain Catholic friends over the past few months.




I should have settled already, but I just can’t. As I dig deeper into
Anglicanism, I learned of the early church fathers, the first
Christians, the councils, the more I uncover Catholicism. Last April
2011 was the birth of my firstborn child. It was also my first
experience of Lent. I started to read books written by Pope Benedict
XVI, which lead me to read conversion stories like Rome Sweet Home,
Surprised by Truth, etc. in the succeeding months.



Last August 14, 2011, during the Gospel reading (Matthew 16:13-20), it felt like it was as if the reading was directed to me.



18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I
will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against
it.

19And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and
whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and
whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.



I was surprised and happy at the same time. My prayer has been
answered. This was bound to happen, I knew it months ago, but I was
asking the Lord – I do not want to be rushed. I don’t want to convert
just for the heck of it. I want it to be in Your time, just the way You
want it. I was planning to convert in 2012, but somehow God wants it
ASAP.



This is it! I want to be confirmed already! That night, I expressed
this desire to my wife. She was very happy and excited because now, we
can really be one family worshipping in one church that God has given to
us.



I was drawn to the Catholic Church for several reasons:

1. Because it is universal – it’s the only church that was able to reach all the ends of the earth.

2. Because it is apostolic – I am convinced and firmly believe that
Jesus Christ established a visible church, which is the Catholic Church,
and through history we are able to trace everything back to Matthew 16.

3. The splendor and beauty of its history and teachings.

4. Using history, simple logic and common sense, you can infer that the Catholic Church is the true bride of Christ.



I have so many other points to raise, but I think it will end up written
like a short novel, but anyway, I would like to personally thank
Father Abe for being a relentless defender of faith. Now you can see
the one of the fruits of your labor.



Right now, I am preparing to get my baptismal certificate in Barasoain
Church. I am glad to know that my parents were able to baptize me in
the Church. This coming September is my adult confirmation. This time
it feels like I’m returning to my home.



I am coming home! †





GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment